MacKenzie Addition Lawrenceville, NJ
Read More Lawrenceville
MacKenzie Lawrenceville, NJ
Addition Lawrenceville, NJ
2004 The Mackenzie Building, designed by the New York firm of Delano and Aldrich in 1937, serves as the main administrative hub on the Lawrenceville campus. Housing the Headmasters offices, Dean of Students, Dean of Faculty, College Guidance Office and the Office of Admission, the building has the atmosphere of a small transportation terminal. Although the building tolerated a mixture of students, faculty and prospective candidates in the main rotunda of the building for years, the increase in admission activities began to hamper the function of the space; with so much cross-traffic, students, families and administrators frequently congested the two-story waiting area.
To meet the demands of the increased usage, Lawrenceville selected Hillier for an addition to house the Office of Admission. Architects designed a two-story structure of approximately 5,000 square feet that features interview offices as well as a new "rotunda" for waiting. Unlike the old internalized waiting/reception area, this new space takes advantage of campus views. With its oversized windows and clerestory lantern, the cylindrical volume achieves an elegance of proportion without being intimidating. The addition, placed at the rear of the building, affords a new side entrance and makes a focal point on the campus out of what was a plain brick façade. Brick is used to complement the existing structure and capped with a lead-coated copper roof.